I am unhappy with the sentence I have been given, what can I do?


If you disagree with an order of the court you may be able to appeal against it. This means that a more senior court will look at your case and decide if the original decision was right. If you want to appeal you must act quickly as there are strict time limits which start on the day that the court makes their decision. The time you have will depend on the type of matter you are appealing against.

Should you choose to appeal, there will be a form to complete and there may be a fee payable upon filing your appeal. Court staff can provide you with the relevant paperwork and advise you of any fee that is due.

You are strongly urged to take advice from a legal practitioner before commencing an appeal. If you lose your appeal you may have to pay the other party's costs.