Reporting a Death to HM Coroner


When should I report a death?

You should immediately report a death to the police and/or HM Coroner.

In certain circumstances, HM Coroner has a duty to inquire if a body is within their jurisdiction.  The place of death is not necessarily relevant.  If in any doubt, report to HM Coroner.


What do I need to report?

You must provide police and/or HM Coroner with your full name and contact details and as much information as you can regarding the identity of the deceased, the circumstances in which death occurred (If you know) and the details of any witnesses. 


What happens if I do not report?

It may be an offence not to report a death.


What happens after I report?

For more information about HM Coroner's investigations, please click here.